History of the Water Department
The water supply system was originally installed in 1888, by the Stevens Point Water Company, with the supply being obtained from the Wisconsin River. In 1922, the waterworks was purchased by the City of Stevens Point, which shortly thereafter improved the system to the extent that a ground water supply was developed and the surface supply abandoned.
Well No. 1 constructed in 1923, No.2 constructed in 1930 and No. 3 constructed in 1938 have been abandoned. They were located in Iverson Park. The present system consists of Wells No. 4 through 10, two elevated storage tanks, one ground level reservoir and a distribution system. The only chemical treatment is the addition of chlorine, fluoride and a blended phosphate.