Click to Home

Go To Search
Licenses & Certifications
In order to do construction work in the City of Stevens Point, there are certain licenses and/or certifications required for each project type. The following is a list of project types and the required license and/or certifications required to obtain an approved permit: 

Building (One and Two-Family Residential)
A person or entity may obtain a building permit for a one- or two-family dwelling only if (see exception) the person or entity holds a dwelling contractor certification or a dwelling contractor - restricted certification, and a dwelling contractor qualifier certification, except as provided under s. 101.654(1)(b), Wis. Stats. There is an exception for an owner of a dwelling who resides or will reside in the dwelling and who applies for the building permit. 
Any contractor who performs electrical work in the City of Stevens Point must possess a State of Wisconsin Master Electrician License.
Any contractor who performs HVAC work in the City of Stevens Point must possess the following license, certification, and meet the following insurance requirements: 
  • State of Wisconsin HVAC Contractor Registration, and 
  • State HVAC Qualifier Certification

Any contractor who performs plumbing work in the City of Stevens Point must possess a State of Wisconsin Master Plumber License.

To see if a contractor is licensed with the State of Wisconsin, please visit the Department of Commerce Credential Search.

Please note, the State of Wisconsin may require additional licenses and/or certifications to do certain construction work. Please visit the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services to learn more.

News and Announcements - View All
Request for Proposals: Purchase Vacant Lot, Build Single Family Home
The Stevens Point Redevelopment Authority seeks proposals for the purchase of vacant property at 101 Georgia St. and construction of a single family home there. Buyers must be able to complete construction within 18 months of the transfer of the property. Read the RFP for Complete Information (pdf)
Downtown Façade Improvement Grant Program Taking Applications
Funds are available for downtown commercial façade building restoration & renovation improvements. Grant application & design review can be approved prior to construction season. Grants can potentially cover 40% of total project costs. Apply by May 25. Get More Information

City of Wonderful Water
City of Stevens Point, 1515 Strongs Ave., Stevens Point, WI 54481 | Phone 715-346-1569