Business 51 Improvement Project
The City of Stevens Point is studying the transportation network along the Business 51 (Division/Church Street) corridor. The corridor extends approximately three miles, reaching from the south city limits to North Point Drive.
The purpose of the study is to identify an alternative for Business 51 that allows the corridor to serve as a safe and efficient link in the city’s transportation system. The study will identify alternatives to address the following needs:
- Pavement condition: Improve deficient pavement.
- Safety: Safe operation for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicles.
- Traffic: Efficient traffic flow for all vehicles.
- Bicycle and pedestrian accommodations: Connections to existing bicycle and pedestrian networks.
The project will also feature storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water main, and fiber improvements throughout the corridor. A new telecommunications conduit will be installed the entire length of the corridor. Street lighting will be upgraded throughout the corridor.
The results of this study will allow the City, land owners, and local businesses to make informed land use decisions compatible with the long-range plans.
Part 1 – Planning
- Purpose and Need - Winter 2020
- Alternatives Development - Spring 2020
- Alternatives Evaluation - Summer 2020
- Recommended Alternative - Fall 2020
Part 2 – Design
- Begin Design - Winter 2021
- Complete 30% Plans - Summer 2021
- Final Design - TBD
Part 3 – Construction
- Begin Construction - 2023 at the earliest
- Project Overview Brochure (PDF) Opens in New Window
- Public Involvement Opportunities (PDF) Opens in New Window
To receive notices via email and/or text message whenever news stories regarding this project are posted here, go to our Notify Me Module Opens in New Window and sign up for the "Business 51 Improvement" News Flashes. News and announcements from this site are also posted on our Facebook Page Opens in New Window and Twitter Feed Opens in New Window .