Business 51 Improvement Project
Project Public Information Meetings
See the presentations, exhibits, and surveys for the Business 51 public meetings
- Public Meeting #1 (September 2020)
- Public Meeting #2 (March 2021)
- Public Meeting #3 (July 2021)
- Public Involvement Summary Report (PDF)
The City of Stevens Point is studying the transportation network along the Business 51 (Division/Church Street) corridor, which extends approximately three miles from the south city limits to North Point Drive, in order to identify an alternative for Business 51 that allows the corridor to serve as a safe and efficient link in the city’s transportation system.
The purpose of the Business 51 study is to address the pavement, safety, and multimodal needs of Business 51 while ensuring efficient traffic flow. The study will identify alternatives to address the following needs:
- Pavement condition: Improve deficient pavement.
- Safety: Safe operation for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicles.
- Bicycle and pedestrian accommodations: Connections to existing bicycle and pedestrian networks.
The project will also feature storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water main, and fiber improvements throughout the corridor. A new telecommunications conduit will be installed the entire length of the corridor. Street lighting will be upgraded throughout the corridor.
The results of this study will allow the City, land owners, and local businesses to make informed land use decisions compatible with the long-range plans.
Part 1 – Planning
- Purpose and Need - Summer 2020
- Alternatives Development - Fall 2020
- Alternatives Evaluation - Winter 2020
- Recommended Alternative - Summer 2021
Part 2 – Design
- Begin Design - Fall 2021
- Complete 30% Plans - Summer 2022
- Final Design - TBD
Part 3 – Construction
- Begin Construction - 2024 at the earliest
Other Resources Opens in New Window
- Results of Public Survey #1 (PDF)
- Public Involvement Opportunities (PDF)
- Business 51 FAQs (PDF)
- Road Diets, A Proven Safety Countermeasure (Video)
- Road Diet Common Questions & Answers (PDF)
- Road Diets – A Livability Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Road Diet MythBustersBu
To receive notices via email and/or text message whenever news stories regarding this project are posted here, go to our Notify Me Module Opens in New Window and sign up for the "Business 51 Improvement" News Flashes. News and announcements from this site are also posted on our Facebook Page Opens in New Window and Twitter Feed Opens in New Window .