If you have been issued a traffic or ordinance citation by the Stevens Point Police Department, the following information is provided to assist you.
If your citation indicates that the court appearance is mandatory or required, you must appear in court in person. You may be represented by legal counsel on the assigned court date.
No Appearance / No Contest
If your citation is marked as not mandatory or not required regarding a court appearance, you may select one of the following options:
- Appear in person or telephone the Stevens Point / Plover Municipal Court 715-342-4054. Post the required forfeiture with cash, personal check or credit card in lieu of appearing in court.
- Appear in person at the Portage County Clerk of Courts office to request that the Court grant you additional time (60 days) beyond the assigned court date to pay the required forfeiture.
- A payment plan can be scheduled with the payment officer at the Clerk of Courts office anytime after the initial appearance.
Contest the Citation
If you desire to appear in Court to contest the charge, you may select one of the following options:
- Appear in court in person, or be represented by legal counsel, on the assigned court date and enter a plea of not guilty. The Court will assign a date for a pretrial conference with the City Attorney. If the case is not settled at the pretrial conference, a trial date will be scheduled.
- Contact the Stevens Point / Plover Municipal Court and inquire as to how you can enter a plea of not guilty, without you or your legal counsel having to appear in court on the assigned court date. The Court will typically accept a written not guilty plea and then assign a date for a pretrial conference with the City Attorney. If the case is not settled at the pre-trial conference, a date for a trial date will be scheduled.
Note: The Court requires a special jury fee be paid by the defendant prior to scheduling a Trial by Jury.