Facilities & Wells
Evaluation of Existing Facilities
Since 1922, the Stevens Point Water Department's goal has been to produce a safe, dependable water supply for delivery to homes, businesses, public facilities and industrial sites. We have seven well sites in two different areas. Wells 4 and 5 are in the vicinity of Iverson Park and wells 6 through 10 are south of the airport in what is called the Airport Well field. Wells 1, 2, and 3, located in Iverson Park, were abandoned in 1970 and the buildings and land were given to the Park and Recreation Department. They are located south of Highway 10 and west of the Plover River.
- Well Number 4 was constructed in 1960, by Frank Haupt. Well Number 4 underwent major reconstruction in 1999 and the work was completed in January of 2000. The improvements will now remove iron and manganese by aeration, chemical addition, and pressure filtration.
- Well Number 5 was constructed in 1966, by McCarthy Well Co.
- Well Number 6 was constructed in 1967, by Layne Northwest.
- Well Number 7 was constructed in 1967, by Layne Northwest.
- Well Number 8 was constructed in 1967, by Layne Northwest.
- Well Number 9 was constructed in 1968, by Layne Northwest.
- Well Number 10 is a horizontally screened well (Ranney or collector well). Well construction started in January 1994 and was completed in March of 1995. It is located east of Well 8.
Chemical Additions to our Water
Stevens Point adds chlorine, fluoride, and blended phosphate to our drinking water. Chlorine is added as a disinfectant, fluoride for the prevention of dental cavities, and blended phosphate for corrosion control.
The elevated tank is of the ellipsoidal variety. It was installed in 1956, and has a capacity of 1,000,000 gallons. The tank was last inspected in 2004 by divers and painted in 1989 and again in 2006.
One million gallons represents about 15 percent of the average day usage.
A cylindrical steel ground storage reservoir has a capacity of 2,500,000 gallons. The reservoir is serviced by two high lift pumps with capacities of 1,560 and 3,000 gpm. The tank was inspected in 1995 and painted in 1990.
An additional elevated tank was added to the Utility in 2004. This is a 750,000 gallon composite elevated tank. The tank increased the Utility's available elevated storage volume and provides the needed operational reliability and flexibility to the water system.
With the auxiliary power provided at several of the facilities, the Water Department is able to provide water during a power outage in excess of the average day demand of the City.
Distribution System & Water Usage
The distribution system contains 744,551' or 141 1/2 miles of main. Of this 99% is cast iron and 95% is 6 inches or larger in diameter. Static pressures in the system range from 60 to 65 psi. The utility has a regular program of hydrant flushing and a program for valve exercising.
The average daily water usage in 2007 was 6.6 million gallons.